Saturday, February 21, 2009

BJP for February, keeping up with the cuffs

I don't "do" Valentine's day stuff often...single with out Mom to send me the annual heart card makes the day a little not-so-much, ya know. This time around I felt the urge to make something with a heart on it and although I like that typical winged heart image, it's a little over done. I changed that image up a little and came up with this:


That's a bus token from Juneau (the old home town) in the middle. I like the "Good For One Fare" words...take them as you will, I've got a couple of different ideas of what they mean here.

Since the wings extend above and below the line of the cuff, I needed to line it with something that doesn't fray or do some seriously fancy needle turning on fabric. I chose the "doesn't fray" option and went with some nice soft chamois leather ( found in the auto parts store under 'buffing up the shine')

I like this one a lot. I like the bug wings, the breaking of the frame and the sort of super-hero look feel it has when it's worn. The bus token gives it a sort of steam punk touch too.

15 comments:

Bev said...

That is just beautiful, Kelly, just beautiful. The way you did the wings... oh they are so very pretty :)

flying fish said...

Thanks Vampi, I'm kind of pleased with the wings too...had to use that 'don't mess with it too much' thing a lot. I wanted to make them too fancy at first.

KV said...

This is awesome!


Kathy V in NM

Robin said...

Oh my!!! I do love the bus tokens (did you see the one I used for September's piece?)... Where did you get yours... What a great idea... I love everything about this... the super-hero look, the bug wings, and the enigmatic meaning! Super WOW!!!

Robin A.

pam T said...

Oh this is gorgeous! I can see why it went fast, you must have been very anxious to get it done and see how it would look!

Marty S said...

Beautiful! A heart and a butterfly are a wonderful combination.
Marty S
Crackpot Beader

beadbabe49 said...

It's a beauty, kelly...when you get in the groove, you really do it!

flying fish said...

The bus token is one that we had around the house after my folks sold the car. I'm guessing it's from the 80's. I hope they're still in use in Juneau, I want more!

Thanks for all the enthusiastic comments, makes my morning pretty great.

heidibeads said...

This is just great! I love the wings and the heart and your ingenious use of soft chamois leather found under buffing things in the auto supply store! I'll have to try that. Love the bus token touch, too - it does add to it.

Poirier Family said...

I love the bus token!!! I think that makes it. The butterfly is beautiful with the heart.

Lynn said...

This design rocks! I love the colors in the wings!

abeadlady said...

I think this one is my favorite so far, Kelly. Love the use of the token.
Arline

Sabine said...

Lovely, lovely, lovely! Have you tried touching the bus token when you are wearing the cuff? The super-heroine would most likely take off and fly. Only, where is the button for landing?

Sabine

FGNM said...

Kelly, I love this cuff! As always, I'm blown away by your talent.

Padparadscha said...

Very impressive. Did you do some more cuffs recently ?