Tuesday, January 6, 2009

December bjp offering




I didn't even start this cuff until December 15th or 16th, for some reason I lost momentum after the November one. I think it happened because I finished November so early, maybe?

I liked the way the paw prints on the November cuff sort of splashed in the dark blue beads so I tried to use that technique again. I'm not so sure it worked here except around the orange slice itself.

Maybe I should explain why an orange slice! Every year we get cases of Japanese mandarin oranges or California Satsumas here, really good, juicy oranges in the middle of winter are the best Christmas treat ever and one of the few traditions I've kept from my childhood. Tangarines/Satsumas/Mandarins all say "Christmas" to me.

7 comments:

flyingbeader said...

Kelly that is great. Once again, your use of color gradients is just fabulous & how wonderful to add one of my favorite colors to your piece as an orange slice. For me the Holidays are not the same without some chocolate peanut clusters. My Dad would always bring home a big basket of chocolates on the 24th for us kids (oh & him too) to eat. So I have to have at least one just in remembrance of Daddy.

dot

beadbabe49 said...

Wonderful! We have the same tradition. I like the snaps better too for a fabric cuff...not so much on a beaded one without fabric.

Robin said...

This is great!!!! Growing up in Minnesota, we too ate tangarines at Christmas... and loved them. I really like the way you put buttons on it, even if they aren't functional as closures. Also, I think snaps are more secure than loops. So... good decision in my opinion. Love the colors and design!

Robin A.

PS... the link on your BJP post doesn't work... I think it has the http:// part twice in the address.

Ricë said...

fabulous--i love the orange! i went back to check but couldn't find your notes--are you beading on wool felt?

flying fish said...

Yup, it's that wool/rayon mix felt that I dyed with the procion dyes. I think this is one that I washed in the machine then air dried.

Poirier Family said...

I love your work!! Stop by my blog when you have a chance, you've been given an award!!

Ellen said...

Oh too yummie Kelly, the oranges look good enough to eat! Your shading as always is super..